Well, I managed to break the build indirectly today. The build compiled fine, but when we ran any of our C++ applications, we got this error dialog:
This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
I broke the build by applying Visual Studio service pack 1 to the build machine. As you can see above, the error message we received was clear as mud. With a little bit of hunting, I discovered that changes were made to the C++ redistributable, which show up in the manifest file. As you can see here, the version number in the application intermediate manifest file is 8.0.50727.762 (it was 8.0.50608.0 prior to applying the service pack):
Applying the new redistributable to the target machine fixed our problem. You can download the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) Version 8.0.50727.762 here.