1. Make sure Virtual Machine Network Services is installed. On the "Network Connections" dialog, right click the "Local Area Connection" icon and then left click properties. This will bring up the "Local Area Connections Properties" dialog (see the picture below). If Virtual Machine Network Services is not installed, you can install it by downloading and installing Virtual PC 2007 .
2. Open the emulator's "configuration" dialog (File->Configure...).
3. Check the "Enable NE2000 PCMCIA network adapter and bind to:" checkbox and then select your computer's network card from the drop down list. Afterwards, left click the "Ok" button.
4. Configure your network card so that it connects to the Internet. Open the "Settings" dialog (Start->Settings), change to the "Connections" tab, and then double click the "Network Cards" icon. Next, select "The Internet" from the "Configure Network Adapters" dialog's drop down list. Finally, left click "Ok" in the upper right hand corner.
5. Configure your connection so that it will access the Internet directly. Double click the "Connections" icon on the "Settings" dialog. Next, left click the "Advanced" tab and left click the"Select Networks" button. On the "Network Management" dialog, you can either create a new location or just edit the work connection like I did below by left click the "Edit" button. Next, left click the "Proxy" tab and the check the "This network connects to the Internet" checkbox. Finally, left click "Ok" in the upper right hand corner three times to return to the "Settings" dialog.
6. Try using Internet Explorer to connect the Internet.
- I had problems getting this to work at home. I finally got it working by first configuring the "USA Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC R2 Emulator" and then saving its state (File -> Save State and Exit). Afterwards, I ran the "USA Windows Mobile 5.0 PC R2 Square Emulator" and it connected to the Internet. I saved its state and returned to the first emulator and it was working. I have no idea why this worked and I hate not knowing!
- During the process of figuring this out, I managed to wipe out Active Sync. I fixed it by downloading Active Sync 4.5.
- I also managed to kill the Device Manager by telling it not to load certain libraries. I fixed that by running the devenv /resetskippkgs command from the Visual Studio prompt.